I am a process server in the state of Georgia , I severed paper on the son of the plaintiff who was handicap man, I trespassed

Jackson, GA |

after walking over a gated area with trespass sign on it. I was told not to come back that I was trespassing , son fell out of chair and hurt himself, the attorney I worked for told me to go back the next day and reserve the papers on the father and when i did we had a fight, worried about liability issues

1. Trespass laws vary dramatically between jurisdictions. As a process server, you are responsible for knowing exactly what you are and are not permitted to do.

Normally, approaching someone's front door in order to knock is not considered trespassing. However, if the property is fenced and gated, then climbing the fence or jumping the gate would be considered trespassing and if the person lives in an apartment complex or gated community, technically, the entire building or complex can be considered private property and you'd need to wait for the gate to open before going through.

If you can't serve the guy without hopping a gate, then don't do it and tell your boss to either pay you to sit and wait for the gate to open, or file for alternative service or service by publication, like everyone else.

The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.