I am a pro se plaintiff and will be deposed next week.

Littleton, CO |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I do not need to use any of the information from my deposition in my case so I do not want to pay for a transcript of the deposition. However, I would like to be able to record the deposition. I understand I can't use any of the voice recording that I make at trial. I would just want it to review the questions asked and my responses. Am I allowed to bring a voice recording device into the deposition?

Not unless the other side agrees to it. You should simply decide to pay for your copy of the transcript. The transcript can be introduced at the trial and will have the testimony given referred to by page number and line on the page. So, you will be a HUGE disadvantage if you do not order a transcript. I would seriously reconsider your thought process.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

2. When cross-examining a witness, there is no substitute for having a transcript in hand. Many jurisdictions require the use of a transcript in order to use what is said at deposition for impeachment at trial.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

3. All you can do is try. If the other side objects, you may not be allowed to use the device, but I am not sure I would make a big deal of that if I was the guy taking your deposition.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.