I am a physician on J1, spouse is J2 but different national. If I get TPS, can it include spouse? When does the 2-yr rule start?

Asked over 1 year ago - Augusta, GA

I am a physician on J1, spouse is J2 but she is from a different nationality. I was approved for Conrad 30 J waiver and we changed visas to H1B and H4B, but the hospital didn't accept my application though we're past the required start date, and I believe they may not take me after all. I am subject to 2-yr rule, and may be out of status now. I don't know what options I have. I believe I am eligible for TPS, but not sure what would happen to my spouse (different nationality and country is not listed in TPS). If I apply for TPS, can my spouse get it too?
What about the 2-year rule, would it be included in the TPS period spent in the US? Or it starts only after we leave US?
If we are out of status, what other options do we have? Can we arrange for a waiver elsewhere? How to find out?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . Yes.
    No. The 2 year home residency requirement only starts once you leave the US. But if you apply for TPS and later for asylum, hopefully you won't have to return there.
    Don't worry, you and your wife are going to be all right: immediately schedule a private consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer in your area.

2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with Attorney Behar.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

4

Answered . Consult with an experienced immigration attorney now. Your wife may be eligible for TPS. The 2 year time period cannot be included in TPS period spent in the US but under the circumstances may be waived.