Skip to main content

I am a Physician and I wonder if I can sue the local pharmacy chains for defamation of character?

Saginaw, MI |

I am a licensed board certified Family Physician with no history of suspensions or any other punitive action against me. I opened my own private practice about a year ago. Now I am having trouble with the large chain Pharmacies. They are refusing to fill my legal prescriptions. In one instance a patient asked why they refused and she said the pharmacist told her, "He is a bad doctor". In a similar instance from today I saw a patient who told me he needed all of his prescriptions refilled because the chain pharmacy he was going to near his home would no longer refill prescriptions from me. The patient said the pharmacist told him to get another doctor.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is beyond a public forum problem. You need to contact a business litigator immediately in your area. If your patients can't fill prescriptions and there are no "missing facts" above, you are the victim of various business torts designed to drive you out of business. Forget defamation - it's business torts.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


"He is a bad doctor" is an opinion, and not defamation.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall


In this context, that principle would likely not defeat the claim.


Mr. Doland's advice is sound.

In addition, you may want to contact a staff investigator at CA Board of Pharmacy and ask for Pharm Board's assistance. Pharm Board may have sent out an alert about a physician with a similar name of business name (such alerts are being used extensively now; lots of media coverage). If there is that kind of error, Pharm Board can move quickly to rectify the origin of the problem and even send out affirmative correctives for you.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland


Ms. McCall brings a hugely important subject to the table. Where subject to a license, the importance of administrative agencies is of potential great concern or great assistance.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer