Skip to main content

I am a permanent US resident. Can i travel to Japan? What do I need in the terms of passport?

San Antonio, TX |

I am wanting to travel to Japan to vist a friend. I do not know if I can travel as a resident. Would I need special passport or do I have to be Citizen of the US?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You simply travel on your green card and the passport of your country. So long as you are not gone for longer than 6 months you will have no trouble returning to the United States.

    Best regards,

    Charles H. Kuck
    Managing Partner
    Kuck Immigration Partners LLC--The Immigration Law Firm
    8010 Roswell Road, Suite 300
    Atlanta, GA 30350
    Phone: 404/816-8611
    Fax: 404/816-8615
    Direct Dial: 404/949-8154 Toll Free: 1-866-286-6200
    Follow us on Twitter: or
    Join me on at
    Join us on — Search within Facebook for “Kuck Immigration Group LLC”
    Sign up for our podcasts on -- Search “The Immigration Hour”
    Read our blog at

    Solutions for Your Immigration Problems
    With additional offices in Charlotte, North Carolina, Orlando, Florida, and Gainesville and Dalton, Georgia.

  2. In addition to the answer above, you have to check Japan's visa and entry requirements for your country of citizenship. Because you are not a citizen of the United Stated, the regulations governing entry regimen between Japan and you native country will apply even though you are traveling from the US.


    Milda Goeriz

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics