I am a party to a lawsuit that has just settled & the premise of the suit is false & am wondering if there is a way to back out?

Asked over 2 years ago - Little Rock, AR

I was in a MVA that resulted in the death of a pedestrian and my family has been sued for negilgent entrustment. I took the keys w/o permission & the details in the plaintiffs complaint are false.

1. Donald Kennedy Campbell III

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Hopefully, you have an attorney and you absolutely need to talk to your lawyer before you try to back out of the agreement. In Arkansas, if an agreement to settle has been reduced to writing or the plaintiff has dismissed the case, the settlement agreement is enforceable.

Again, go talk in detail with the lawyer who is representing your side of the matter about all the possible consequences that could happen to you and/or your family before you decide to try to "undo" a settlement agreement.

2. Scott Allen Scholl

Pro

1

Answered . You need to talk to your attorney, you are starting down a path with many pitfalls that you are likely unaware.

3. Rick E Woods

Pro

1

Answered . Those are facts that must be determined through witness testimony. Is your family's insurance providing you a defense?

4. Paul Y. Lee

2

Answered . If the settlement has been finalized (i.e., the written settlement agreement has been signed by all parties), the settlement is enforeceable and binding. It is too late to back out. If there has been a settlement in principle and the settlement has not yet been finalized, and there is a basis for you to argue that there was a misunderstanding, lack of meeting of the minds, or other reason not to proceed further, there may be a basis for you to back out. However, this is a tricky proposition and you need to consult with your attorney to further discuss this matter, including the potential ramifications of your backing out.

5. Andrew Ronald Gillin

Pro

1

Answered . This usually depends upon whether there is a signed agreement. The best person to answer this question is the attorney who represented you. I hope this helps