I am a PAresident, pay taxes & want in-state tuition. The public university says I am not. If not PA, then where?

Philadelphia, PA |
Filed under: Education law

After college (Dec 2007) in NC as a dependent of my parents where they still live, I gained employment in GA, became independent, & a resident of GA. I got accepted into a graduate program in PA, moved there in June 2010 & started classes the next month. I became a PA resident & paid state taxes for 2010. Since the university said one had to be in PA for 12 months prior to enrollment, I paid out-of-state tuition for the first year. I applied for in-state resident tuition in July 2011. I was denied & many of the reasons used were erroneous, as though they did not read my application. I appealed & also submitted a sworn affadavit stating that I will stay in PA if employed after getting my Doctor of Physical Therapy degree in July 2013. I attended the hearing but it was denied.

Yes, I am domiciled in PA as it is the place where I intend to reside permanently or indefinitely, & I do in fact reside. I registered to vote, have a PA driver's license, (don't own a car), rent an apt. & pay utilities, am employed at a Phila. hospital & pay city & state taxes, have PA bank account, belong to PA PT Assoc., have a small business & pay state taxes, and all my mother's family still lives in PA where my Mom was born. The appeal denial letter is based on PA Res. Tuition Elig. Guidelines & stated some of <my> evidence shows PA domicile, but "the evidence taken as a whole necessitates a conclusion that she is not domiciled in this Commonwealth." They also say "Once classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes, such a student 'will ordinarily continue to be so classified throughout his/her attendance at the University." (Guide. Sec.A). Mine is not an ordinary situation. I should get PA domicile status as my situation is an exception. Are you or do you know an ed. law attny?

If you were denied at a hearing that is not a good sign. It seems that your domicle is at issue here. Are your registered to vote in PA? Do you have a drivers license in PA? Do you belong to a church in PA? Do you have other factors that indicate domicile? This would be an expensive undertaking to appeal and not sure if you even have appeal rights. You need to speak with an attorney who deals in the education law area.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. I could not give you a better answer than Attorney Fromm.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

Education law topics