I am a PAresident, pay taxes & want in-state tuition. The public university says I am not. If not PA, then where?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

After college (Dec 2007) in NC as a dependent of my parents where they still live, I gained employment in GA, became independent, & a resident of GA. I got accepted into a graduate program in PA, moved there in June 2010 & started classes the next month. I became a PA resident & paid state taxes for 2010. Since the university said one had to be in PA for 12 months prior to enrollment, I paid out-of-state tuition for the first year. I applied for in-state resident tuition in July 2011. I was denied & many of the reasons used were erroneous, as though they did not read my application. I appealed & also submitted a sworn affadavit stating that I will stay in PA if employed after getting my Doctor of Physical Therapy degree in July 2013. I attended the hearing but it was denied.

Additional information

Yes, I am domiciled in PA as it is the place where I intend to reside permanently or indefinitely, & I do in fact reside. I registered to vote, have a PA driver's license, (don't own a car), rent an apt. & pay utilities, am employed at a Phila. hospital & pay city & state taxes, have PA bank account, belong to PA PT Assoc., have a small business & pay state taxes, and all my mother's family still lives in PA where my Mom was born. The appeal denial letter is based on PA Res. Tuition Elig. Guidelines & stated some of <my> evidence shows PA domicile, but "the evidence taken as a whole necessitates a conclusion that she is not domiciled in this Commonwealth." They also say "Once classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes, such a student 'will ordinarily continue to be so classified throughout his/her attendance at the University." (Guide. Sec.A). Mine is not an ordinary situation. I should get PA domicile status as my situation is an exception. Are you or do you know an ed. law attny?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you were denied at a hearing that is not a good sign. It seems that your domicle is at issue here. Are your registered to vote in PA? Do you have a drivers license in PA? Do you belong to a church in PA? Do you have other factors that indicate domicile? This would be an expensive undertaking to appeal and not sure if you even have appeal rights. You need to speak with an attorney who deals in the education law area.

    Hope this helps.

    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  2. Todd Bruce Kotler

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I could not give you a better answer than Attorney Fromm.

    This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,347 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,347 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering