I am a non-immigrant alien, J-1 visa expired five years ago..I am married, will have to obtain sponsor for tax requirements

Asked 10 months ago - Chicago, IL

what are my options?

1. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . Options for what? Paying taxes? What are you trying to do?

2. Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Pro

2

Answered . If you are married to a US citizen, you can seek to adjust your status and if your spouse's income is not enough to sponsor you, you certainly can get a joint-sponsor whose income alone must meet the poverty guidelines.

Also, because you had a J-1 visa, you need to make sure you are not subject to the 2-year foreign residency requirements.

3. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

2

Answered . Many more questions would need to be asked of you in order to give a useful answer. Speak to an immigration attorney by phone or in-office.

4. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

2

Answered . Consult with an immigration attorney to obtain useful answers to your questions.

5. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, you should consult with an attorney before filing anything.

But if you married a US Citizen, and his income is insufficient, you will have to find a co-sponsor. Also, with a J-1 Visa it is important to know if you are subject to the 2 year residency requirement or not.

You can contact myself or one of my colleagues to properly prepare and file your case.