I am a natrualized citizen and I lost my certificate of naturalization. I have no ID and can't get an Id.

San Francisco, CA |

I filled out a N565 and paid the $345 fee. I waited 5 months for a response from Homeland Security. They sent me back a letter asking for ID to complete my request for a new certificate. I have no way of getting a ID or a passport. I need help ASAP.

1. Contact an immigration lawyer in your area ASAP.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. I agree with my colleague. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

3. You can also meet Pro Bono Immigration Attorney for free of cost if you are eligible or else regular attorney. You can also contact the appropriate dept for further information on the issue. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only. It doesn't constitute legal advice. This answer doesn't create attorney client relationship.

4. In CA you go to the local DMV and complete a DL44. You do not need ID because they verify your thumb print and have your photo in their data base. Many Americans do not have passports so when they get driver's licenses or IDs they only present a birth certificate, once in the system IDs can be replaced without another form of ID because for most Americans their driver's license is their only picture ID. You should bring your social security card just in case . The form asks for your license number which hopefully you memorized, yet that should not be an obstacle. USCIS gives you 87 days on and RFE and the CA DMV takes about 6 weeks to replace an ID so you might run out of time. Send a sworn declaration to USCIS stating your problem and the reason you need the natz cert is to get your ID back. A FOIA can take several months and usually does not have a copy of your natz certificate or green card. However, if you ever filed for someone else using your natz cert it would be in their immigration file. The idea raised about revisiting your employment I-9 files sounds the most promising. If you volunteer or drive for your children's school field trips the school is required to keep a copy of your license on file. How about your old immigration attorney? think of who you gave a copy of your driver's license to and get a copy back. I suggest only hiring an attorney if none of these options pan out and you need help drafting the letter to USCIS. But there is nothing magical an attorney can do for you.