I am a natrualized citizen and I lost my certificate of naturalization. I have no ID and can't get an Id.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I filled out a N565 and paid the $345 fee. I waited 5 months for a response from Homeland Security. They sent me back a letter asking for ID to complete my request for a new certificate. I have no way of getting a ID or a passport. I need help ASAP.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . Contact an immigration lawyer in your area ASAP.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. Kamala Maddipoti

2

Answered . You can also meet Pro Bono Immigration Attorney for free of cost if you are eligible or else regular attorney. You can also contact the appropriate dept for further information on the issue. Good luck.

4. Marcia Irene Dore

1

Answered . In CA you go to the local DMV and complete a DL44. You do not need ID because they verify your thumb print and have your photo in their data base. Many Americans do not have passports so when they get driver's licenses or IDs they only present a birth certificate, once in the system IDs can be replaced without another form of ID because for most Americans their driver's license is their only picture ID. You should bring your social security card just in case . The form asks for your license number which hopefully you memorized, yet that should not be an obstacle. USCIS gives you 87 days on and RFE and the CA DMV takes about 6 weeks to replace an ID so you might run out of time. Send a sworn declaration to USCIS stating your problem and the reason you need the natz cert is to get your ID back. A FOIA can take several months and usually does not have a copy of your natz certificate or green card. However, if you ever filed for someone else using your natz cert it would be in their immigration file. The idea raised about revisiting your employment I-9 files sounds the most promising. If you volunteer or drive for your children's school field trips the school is required to keep a copy of your license on file. How about your old immigration attorney? think of who you gave a copy of your driver's license to and get a copy back. I suggest only hiring an attorney if none of these options pan out and you need help drafting the letter to USCIS. But there is nothing magical an attorney can do for you.