I am a minor and i am being charged with shoplifting. first offense

Asked 6 months ago - Jefferson, OH

i am being charged, though i was not taken to the police station to be finger printed. the item in question was $9.99. i am being charged with a 289 fine. what are my possible punishments? will my record be ex-sponged?

1. Joanna Lenefonte

Best Answer

Answered . Juvenile court is different than adult court in the sense that there are multiple options the juvenile court has in terms of punishment. The court can place you in juvenile deletion, have you complete a diversion program that would avoid detention but includes classes geared towards anger management or preventing future shop lifting, they could even have you complete community service.
    In terms of expungement, this can be sealed if you keep out of trouble for a full year from the date you finish all requirements imposed by the court. There is a chance that sealed juvenile records can still show up on future employment background checks and a theft can really hurt you in the future. It's in your best interest to find an attorney who can represent you in court. Best if luck in this matter.

Attorney Joanna Lenefonte
    Beck Law Office, L. L. C.
    1370 N. Fairfield Rd
    Suite C
    Beavercreek, OH 45432
    (937) 426-4000
    Joanna@becklawofficellc.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

1

Answered . The juvenile court could place you in juvenile detention, could place you on probation, could order you to attend theft classes or any other class that it feels appropriate, and/or order you to perform you community service. I suggest you retain a local attorney who can advice you of how the court treats these cases and if a diversion program is available. This charge should be eligible for sealing/expungement as long as you stay out of trouble. It is becoming increasingly more frequent that juvenile records show up even if sealed. Save yourself the current and future headache and hire an attorney.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    1370 North Fairfield Rd.
    Suite C
    Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
    (937)426-4000 phone
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

3. Robert Phillip Odle

Pro

Answered . Most Courts have what is generally referred to as a "Diversion Program." First time offenders can keep a clean record by performing public service, attending classes, etc.

Contact an experienced attorney in your area. Keeping your record clean is critical for your future. Hiring an attorney is in your best interests. Good luck.