I am a mexican citizen married a u.s citizen i would like to know what the next steps to fix my papers?

Asked over 2 years ago - Toledo, OH

i am 20 yrs. old and entered the u.s when i was 10 with a temporary visa. we over stayed our visa and now i am married to a u.s citizen i would like to know how to start my paper work

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

20

1

Answered . Your spouse can sponsor you and you can get your green without leaving the US.

2. Richard Irving Fleischer

6

Answered . The biggest point is that you entered US legally. As long as you have proof of this you may remain in US to file both the visa petition (wife files) and the application for adjustment of status (you file) with USCIS.
    There is a great deal of evidence to file with the forms necessary.
    a good lawyer can help yo do this.

3. Philip Alan Eichorn

5

Answered . Prior counsel is correct. It appears based on the stated information that you are eligible to adjust status. It is a one-step filing with USCIS. If done correctly and you are eligible, our office has been receiving approvals within 3-4 months of filing. That means you should have your green card (proof of permanent resident status) within 4-5 months of this post.

As you posted you live in Toledo, your marriage interview will be held in Cleveland Ohio.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . Although it starts by filing an I-130, you will have to consular process and get a waiver.

Talk to an attorney ... this is tricky.

5. Mordechai Elazar Book

4

Answered . Not a difficult task, but I always recommend immigrants consult with an immigration attorney before filing. Many immigration lawyers provide free initial consultations. Also, I would point out, even though there is not an indication in your story that this applies to you, nobody should EVER try to fool USCIS with a marriage that is not genuine in order to attain legal status.

6. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

4

Answered . Depending on whether you ever left the country, you may be able to adjust your status to that of a Legal Permanent Resident.

Dhenu Savla
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com
    Free Phone Consultations Available

7. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . Your spouse would petition you and you would file for adjustment of status.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.