I am a Licensed Profession Counselor (LPC) in the state of Illinois recently fired. What are my rights?

Asked over 1 year ago - Naperville, IL

I am being accused of violating HIPAA law by taking a client's file home to do progress notes and check their insurance coverage. (Resources were not provided at the office facilitate this effort) My boss-the owner/Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) - who is responsible for my supervision- advised me not to do this- I followed her direction.. However, months later, when I began questioning business practices and asking why I had not received my pay for clients seen 4 months prior... she fires me -citing that I took files home more than once and turns it on me that I have questionable motives- all unfounded. She did not pay me in full - telling me I have to wait for payments when the insurance carrier pays.

1. Martha Ann Knutson

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is no potential HIPAA violation if noone but you actually saw the records you took out of the office. (Not saying this is a good idea, just not necessarily a violation.)

I've edited the tags above so an employment lawyer in your area might see the question and be able to help you. Good luck.

2. Barry Franklin Poulson

1

1

Answered . You may want to repost this under "employment law" with your location. Or, you can do an AVVO search for employment law. View the profiles of attorneys from the search, call one you like, and see if there is some cause of action. At least, recovery of your pay would be a next step.

3. David B Pittman

Pro

1

1

Answered . You really should consult an employment lawyer and get their advice.