Skip to main content

I am a legal resident. Is there anyway for me to file for family reunion with my parents and little brother to bring them in US?

Fort Myers, FL |


Thanks in advance for reading and answers. I want to know how I can bring my parents and my little brother to US. I am a legal resident. I know that according to USCIS website, only citizens can apply for their parents, I heard about several cases where people were filing while on legal resident status for their parents and even indirect relatives like uncles and nieces.
Thanks again.

Attorney Answers 3


You cannot petition them. To get visitor visas, they will need to apply and prove to the satisfaction of the consular officer that they will not remain in the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


yes, become a US citizen.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


No, you cannot sponsor your parents or your brother until you become a US citizen.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

15 lawyers agree




Thanks for reply Mr. Shusterman. I am a big fan of your Immigration Updates newsletters. I was really hoping to hear a different answer, but I guess I will have to wait more time.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Sorry about that...

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics