I am a legal LPR since 2004. I got arrested in 2007,convicted and finished a year's probation. in 2010, I got arrested again.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

The case is still pending but I am interested in applying for Naturalization. What are my chances. Can I even travelled out of the country. Is MN second degree conviction an agravated felony under INA. Please help. I know those two incidences were stupid and I won't do that again.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should not even consider traveling abroad or applying for naturalization until you discuss the impact of your conviction and your pending case with an immigration attorney. You could be setting yourself up for deportation.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Thomas C Gallagher

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Criminal cases can be harmful to one's application for Naturalization, or worse. It would be wise to avoid a guilty or conviction in the pending case. It is easier to avoid immigration problems triggered by criminal cases by winning or managing the criminal case appropraitely, than it is to litigate an immigration case. I cannot answer the immigration law question. You may wish to pose that to an immigration lawyer.

  3. Andrew M. Leone

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You best chance is to fight the criminal case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,299 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,299 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering