I am a land owner. Can I be forced to convey a right of way to a neighbors property?

Elmira, NY |

The property owner that borders mine does not have a right of way to get there. I have always allowed them access. Can they ever "demand" a formal right of way?

It depends. If you have allowed them the use over time you may have a problem. Speak with a local zoning or real estate lawyer.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

I agree with what Jayson told you, an easement by adverse possession can arise under certain circumstances if someone has used an access for over ten years (in New York) without being stopped by the owner (or the previous owners).

There may also be an easement somewhere in your "chain of title" (deeds of previous owners of your property) where someone expressly granted the property owner a written easement deed, that would "run with the land" and be binding on subsequent owners in the "chain of title" (i.e., you).

Another way an "easement by necessity" can arise is if your neighbor's lot and your lot were once part of a bigger lot and your neighbor's lot is the "landlocked" parcel not fronting on the public road that accesses your property. In that circumstance, an implied "easement by necessity" automatically arises.

Additionally, depending on how long you have "allowed" access, the neighbor may or may not be able to claim an easement (because adverse possession cannot be by permission, acknowledging your ownership or your predecessor in title).

You need to talk to a real estate lawyer and bring (if you can): your deed, a property tax bill with your tax map parcel id on it, and the "abstract of title" and/or title insurance policy you got from your lawyer when you closed on the property (which may except the easement from title insurance coverage in a schedule if the title searchers found it during their review of your title).

An easement by necessity or by 'prescription' may be given by a court. It
sounds like your neighbors might be entitled to one or the other, which
amounts to the same result for you.

Joseph A. Bollhofer, Esq.

Joseph A. Bollhofer, P.C.

291 Lake Ave.

St. James, NY 11780

fax (631)584-2304

Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly

IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax
advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed
to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be
deemed to have been created.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Recommended articles about Real estate