I am a Indian (28 yrs) of age , i am in USA with a B1/B2 visa. I am presently staying in Montrose, IL, USA with my sister.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Champaign, IL

I am a Indian (28 yrs) of age , i am in USA with a B1/B2 visa.
I am presently staying in Montrose, IL, USA with my sister, Brother in law (who owns a Motel in US – Illinois ) and their family.
Further to inform you in brief, I have my B1/B2 Visa for 10 years issued from India –Delhi, in Dec 2012
I would request you to please suggest me the possible ways to have my B1/B2 Visa converted into any other type of VISA ( E, L, H1 or others ) which helps me to stay in US for a long period of time to work and earn.
I hope to get positive details and support from your end in helping me through the process.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . There is no "E" visa treaty between the U.S. and India at present. An immigrant petition filed by your sister will take 10-14 years to process and cannot enable you to remain in the US in the meantime. The hotel she owns will not be of any help since any job they might offer you for working at the hotel will not be in a position necessitating a university degree. Besides, there are no more H-1B visas available now until October 2014.

    You will not qualify for an L-1b visa through the motel either, and let's not even mention the L-1A visa, since you have not worked for at least a year in the parent company or affiliate owning this hotel in India.

    The only possible alternative is if they could offer you an H-3 Training visa position from the hotel: need to consult with an immigration lawyer to examine that possibility. Of course, you could always end up falling in love and marrying a nice Hindi girl with an American passport your sister could introduce you to.. You could then file for a green card right away.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To broad a question, impossible to answer on avvo

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't seen anything that will easily help you. Your sister won't be able to help much for at-least 10 years, nor will the motel ... thus you will need to either leave and wait in India for a visa, or find alternatives.

    You mention when the visa was issued/expires ... but you didn't tell us the Expiration Date of your I-94 ... THAT CONTROLS your stay.

    I suggest you meet with an attorney (in person or by Skype) for a paid consultation.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Too general.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
  5. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have you even considered meeting with an experienced immigration licensed counsel in person located in your area to commence the legal analysis of your immigration issue properly?

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  6. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . More information is required on your background. A personal meeting with an experienced immigration attorney is the best way to proceed to ensure all corners are covered.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,613 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,613 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering