I am a hairstylist, my salon gives too many discounts

Asked over 4 years ago - San Diego, CA

Hello, I am a Hairstylist in California, I work for a salon that is always offering discounts to everyone that walks in the door, these discounts are effecting my paycheck. My question is, does the employer have to legally take the hit of our salon discounts? as of now it`s split, we the stylist take half of the hit, what is the law?

1. Steven Gregory Pearl

Answered . Generally speaking, employers must pay their employees at least minimum wage. There are very limited exceptions, but this is the general rule. Minimum wage in California is $8.00 per hour. If you are not earning at least $8.00 per hour, you should speak with an attorney who represents employees in wage and hour matters. The California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA) maintains a database of such lawyers on its web site, www.cela.org. You can go to the web site and search for an attorney in your area. You also can call your local bar association for a referral.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice and cannot be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.