I am a green card holder will my citizenship process be denied if I apply for food stamps?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

My family falls under 133% FPL and we live from check to check. We are a family of 4 in total and all are 18 and older and we are all green card holders.. can our citizenship be denied? Someone told us it would but I want to be sure :/

1. Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . You will not be denied cititenship merely because you receive food stamps. The issue of public charge relates to applications for permanent resident status or certain non immigrant or temporary benefits, such as change of status, TPS e.t.c. It has no relevance to application for naturalization. Additionally. you do not seem to fit the definition of a public charge, which requires either the receipt by you of public cash assistance for income maintainance or institutionalization for long- term care at government expense.

2. Gintare Grigaite

5

2

Answered . Certain public benefits you are not eligible for, and if you apply, then there is a possibility that the government will seek reimbursement from the individual who sponsored you for the green card, since they signed an affidavit of support, which is a contract with the government.

3. Neil Ian Fleischer

4

1

Answered . if you receive benefits you are not eligible for, you can be denied citizenship. Whether or not you are eligible, is not something I personally know

4. Arie Ebrahimian

4

1

Answered . Hello. Given that you are experiencing financial difficulties, I encourage you to contact a local pro bono establishment for legal advice and representation before filing your citizenship application. Some of these pro bono establishments have an immigration attorney on staff. He/she will be able to determine your eligibility for U.S. citizenship.

LAW OFFICE OF ARIE EBRAHIMIAN
    8889 WEST OLYMPIC BOULEVARD, SUITE 200
    BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90211
    (888) 980-2743
    (888) 980-ARIE
    ARIE@DREAMACTLAWYER.US

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.

5. Robert West

4

Answered . That depends if you are eligible.