I am a gay male and I feel harassed, discriminated and retaliated against does my complaint qualify.

Bradenton, FL |

Supervisor says "Fag" for cigarette. "Anyone want to go out for a fag" several times a day. (Claims it's British) Radios in the workplace tuned to conservative talk radio & religious content frequent denigrates the GLBT Community. (they claim it's free speah) ongoing for almost 3 years after my frequent requests. Part of it was finally resolved in January when my boss stopped it in the employee area. He continued in his office to listen to the programming political talk radio & internet religious broadcasts, which could be heard outside the office. Having to enter his office for business he agreed to tun it off when I came in. That didn't last long! My workplace has become increasing hostile and they are now (after I went to HR). That I have a behavior problem. I also had safety com

The radio thing could possibly be a hostile environment if it is in common areas or played so loudly. The Brits do call cigarettes fags, they have for decades. So IF he is a Brit, that makes sense. If it is an affectation, because he is not a Brit, or didn't live there for a long time and pick it up as a normal part of speech, then if you can show he is deliberately using it to harass you, maybe you have something. But I would a) focus on your complaint to HR and b) go see an employment attorney for a consult to go over whether or not your workplace is covered, how HR followed up, if their corrections were sufficient, and if there was any identifiable retaliation for your complaint to HR.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

It sounds like a lot was going on here and there needs to be a discussion in greater detail regarding the particular facts in your case. Without more information it is not possible to give an opinion about this. The best advice would be to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in employment law and sexual harassment cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Many attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. In contingency fee arrangements, there are no hourly fees. In some states attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case but in others there is a reasonable fee charged to compensate the attorney for their time and advice. I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. There is a tab "Find A Lawyer" on the home page of Avvo at www.avvo.com that will help you find a lawyer in this practice area in your locale. Good luck!

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis.