I am a French teacher and a US school is willing to hire me.Do I need a J-1 Visa?What do my employer have to do to sponsorize me

Asked about 5 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Are the paperwork long to process?Is it expensive?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Elaine Martin

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If the teaching position requires a bachelor's degree and you have that degree, the H-1B is the best route. You should definitely have a lawyer to help with this. The employer does the filing, not the employee. You couldn't start working until October 1, unless the school is a non-profit affiliated with an institute of higher education. The costs vary, depending on the type of school because government filing fees vary with the size of the employer. It is likely to cost a total of $3000 - $5000.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,210 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,210 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering