I am a family member in a family business and not on a payroll. Can I go to court for my family business?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

If a customer has not paid up, can I go to small claims court on behalf of the owner of the business, who is a family member of mine?

I sometimes do some work for the business, but don't get paid directly because I'm not on the payroll, so my question is how much of a tie do I need to have with the business in order for me to go to superior court or small claims court for that business?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Carl Eschen III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No. Although who may appear on behalf of a business differs with the type of business, you would have to be at the least a regular employee. A partnership may only appear through a partner.

    If your relative owns the business as an unincorporated sole proprietorship, you would not only have to be a regular employee, but the claim would have to be something you would prove with company business records, and you would have to be able to testify about how those records were prepared.

  2. J Anthony Vittal

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . A business other than a sole proprietorship (e.g., John Doe, doing business as ABC Sales) can appear in a California court only through an attorney. Therefore, if the business is a partnership of any kind, a corporation, an LLC, or a trust, it must appear by an attorney.

    As to whether you can testify on behalf of the business, it depends on whether or not you are a percipient witness -- i.e. , whether you have personal knowledge of the facts about which you propose to testify. Even a custodian of records of the business must have personal knowledge of the fact the records are records of the business and that they were prepared and maintained, and are relied on, in the ordinary course of the business.

    Thus, the controlling issues are the type of entity and your knowledge of the facts, not the relationship between you and the owner of the business. If there is any question about the foregoing, consult with the lawyer who formed the business or other counsel. If the business has no lawyer, you can obtain a referral from the Sacramento County Bar Association Lawyer Referral & Information Service at http://www.sacbarlawyer.org/.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a courtesy. This response does not constitute legal advice, which requires... more
  3. Martha Bronson

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Business entities such as corporations and LLC have to appear via an attorney. You could appear to testify as a witness, but only if you have personal knowledge of the matters you would be testifying about. I concur with the excellent answers by counsel above.

    Please feel free to call Attorney Martha Bronson at 209-830-0400 for help. Martha Bronson is an experienced attorney in the Sacramento, San Joaquin and Bay Area courts, having been in practice over twenty four (24) years.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more

Related Topics

Sole proprietorship small business

A sole proprietorship is a business owned and operated by one person in which there is no legal distinction between the business and owner.

Marshall C Deason Jr.

Florida Business Entities

There are several ways that you can organize your business in Florida. No one type or organization is best for all businesses. You should consult with your lawyer to find the type of... more

Business records

Small business records are documents recording business dealings, including accounting documents, meeting minutes, memoranda, and contracts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,133 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,133 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering