Skip to main content

I am a F1 student holding-CPT; 40 hours of work authorization in the usa, ,could i registered a non profit org in the USA ?

Edison, NJ |
Filed under: Student visas

I am a F1 student holding-CPT; 40 hours of work authorization in the usa, ,could i registered a non profit org in the USA and also opening a branch in Nepal too, Can i work for Obama's campaign against women's violence in the usa and Nepal side by side ?

Attorney Answers 3


I think you need to meet with your foreign student adviser, and the professor that is supervising your CPT. You might be trying to 'stretch' things a bit too far for CPT.

As for creating a non-profit ... sure ... but why?

I strongly suggest you sit-on these great ideas until after you have graduated from college/university.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Third time you ask this question. Yes you can register the organization, but you cannot work in it unless the work is related to CPR and complies with other CPT rules. IF it does not, it would not matter whether you get paid here, there in Nepal or not at all. It would still be a violation of your status.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Talk to your DSO.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics