I am a F1 international student wanting to go to medical school, but would like to get a green card first. What are my options?

Hartford, CT |

Most med schools either do not accept int'l students OR require 1-4 years full tuition in an escrow account, money which I don't have. Financial aid/loans are essentially restricted to citizens/permanent residents. So, I would like to get a green card before going to med school. I plan on staying in the US after med school.

I am a 20 year-old student graduating in 2014 with a B.Sc. (current GPA 3.95) and can likely find a job straight after graduating. I am published in a peer-reviewed journal in a field unrelated to medicine and will probably publish again before 2014. I've won numerous high school and college awards.

1. What type of green card can I qualify for? Is EB-2 possible?
2. What is my timeline? i.e., when can I expect to get said green card?

Many thanks for your help!

Sorry, you don't appear to qualify for EB-2.

Unless you are willing to spend 4-6 years on H-1B and having an employment sponsorship before med school ... you will need to find the money to pay your tuition.

You should consult with an attorney to better understand our immigration system.
___________________________________________________________
Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW
franco@capriotti.com -- 1-503-803-0055 -- www.capriotti.com
SKYPE MULTI-PARTY VIDEO AVAILABLE

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

For a green card, you must have a family or employment based petitioner. Whether EB2 is possible can only be determined based on the requirements of the position for which you are being petitioned. Additionally, for EB2 the minimum job requirements would need to be a Master's degree, or a Bachelor's degree with 5 years of subsequent experience. With only a BS degree, you would not qualify for such a position. The time line depends on the basis for the green card, and the priority dates for that category.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Sponsorship through relatives, employment, investments, visa lottery, etc.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.