I am a Canadian citizen, with permanent residence in US, with a 2 yr probation for misdemeanor, can I travel to Canada and back?

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, CA

I have received my Green Card by marriage, my husband is a US citizen, I have a probabtion for 2 years ending in February 2014 for a misdeamenor charge.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . It depends on the misdemeanor.

2. Eliza Grinberg

7

Answered . Some crimes may create inadmissibility grounds even if it is only a misdemeanor.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

7

Answered . I recommend that you do NOT leave the US until:

1. After you have met with an immigration attorney and'
    2. After you have completed your probation .. even then, don't travel if your immigration attorney recommends against it.

Some misdemeanors are quite serious crimes in the eyes of the immigration service.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

4

Answered . Some misdemeanors can cause you to be inadmissible. You should discuss with an immigration attorney who can review the conviction and then advise you accordingly. Until then, I would advise you NOT to leave the country.

5. Kenneth J Kohler

5

Answered . The easy answer is to check with your probation officer. If you have "unsupervised" probation, then it is important to review your conviction and order to determine whether any travel limitations were ordered. If not, the safest answer is to motion the Court for permission for such travel. Make sure you describe the extent that you want to conduct this travel, so limitations don't get you in a bind.

6. Carly Stadum

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, because some misdemeanors allow the government to decide that you are inadmissible, so when you try to reenter the US from Canada, they may not allow you back in without a waiver. I would consult with an immigration attorney before traveling outside the country.