I am a Canadian Citizen, can I live in the US?

Nashville, TN |

I am a Canadian Citizen and my fiancee just did his refugee papers to the US, his application got accepted but he didn't apply for the green Card yet as it hasn't been a year yet... What would be my status if we got married... after he applies for the green card and gets it? can he do the papers for me so I can move? what is the best solution for this... is it better to live in Canada, or can he do the papers for me so I can live in the US?
please advice,
thanks

Getting married to an asylum /refugee does not change your status in the U.S. If and when he gets his green card he can file a petition for you to immigrate. Until the visa is approved and available, it will not give you a right to live and work in the U.S.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

I agree with Mr. Berman.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

To expand ... you need to find your own way to legally reside in the US ... or wait 5 years for him to become a US Citizen.

So he can't do papers for me when he has a green card he has to wait until he is an american Citizen?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

No, he can do papers ... but you will have to wait for years, and years, before immigration will give you papers to reside in the US.

So is it better to stay in Canada then and do the papers for him so he can move here?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Yes ... but, then he will lose his ability to reside in the US.

I agree with Mr. Berman

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Marriage and prenups topics