I am 47 yrs old filed for SSDI just got a letter asking about my work history and my limitation is this a good sign filed in Dec

Asked 7 months ago - Montgomery, AL

I filed a SSDI claimed in December 2013 I recently got a some paperwork from them asking about my limitations and work history I wanted to know what does this means

1. Stephanie O Joy

5

Answered . Hi, and thank you for your question.

The limitations form may be called a Function Report - Adult (most likely), and the other one is just that, a work history report. The fact that you received them means you successfully filed your application and your claim has been transferred from your local office to your State's disability determination services. The information you provide, combined with your medical records the DDS will order (that you advised them of via your Disability Report - Adult when you submitted your application), will be used to see if you have severe limitations resulting from you medical impairment(s) and if those severe limitations prevent you from performing your prior work. If so, they will then determine if you are unable to do any other occupation. If they find you are unable, to do so, they will typically issue a Notice of Award.

Good luck. If you have not yet retained an attorney to properly prepare these forms with you, now may be the time to do so, to better ensure that you don't make one of the typical errors that claimants often make when self-representing.

2. Thomas Benjamin Glanton

1

Answered . The documents you received are typical and routine documents sent out to you after you have filed for SSDI. The documents will help in making the determination of whether or not you are qualified for an award. Make sure that you fill out the forms as completely as possible.

3. James Vincent Hill

Pro

2

Answered . These documents are required for adjudicating all disability applications. So, at this point it means that the SSA has received your applicaiton and is working on getting all the necessary information in order to give you an initial decision. Make sure that you give an accurate and complete work history. You want to be sure to provide detail on the harder aspects of your work, both from a mental and physical standpoint. Also, be accurate on your limitations, as the SSA may use what you put down on these forms against you in a hearing. The best thing to do now would be to seek the help of an experienced attorney to help you fill out the paperwork.

4. Dennis Alan Palso

Pro

2

Answered . This is routine. In order to make a decision as to whether you meet the definition of disability in the Social Security Act, the agency in your state investigating and making the decision at the first two steps will have to know things about your medical history along with your education and your physical and mental limitations. Their asking for this information does not mean that you are on a fast track to be awarded benefits or that you are likely to be denied.