I am 36, can I have my adopted fathers name removed off my birth certificate and have my biological fathers name placed back on

Asked about 3 years ago - Orlando, FL

My mom divorced my father when I was 2 months old. She remarried when I was 3.
When I was 9, my adopted fathers parents paid to have me adopted and to take on his their family name. To carry on the name if you will. I am 36 now and with a family of my own. I don't want to change my name, but when I was adopted, they removed my biological fathers name and inserted my step fathers. my mother later divorced him, and he isn't what most would call father material. I haven't spoke to him in 5yrs. I now have a great relationship with my biological father, and he is the only Grandfather my daughtersi know. I want to undo something that I really misunderstood or would approve of now. Any help would be great. Thanks.

1. Andrew G. Storie

Answered . You should be able to change your last name without much problem, depending on if you have a criminal record and you are not trying to change your name to avioid creditors.The procedures for changing a last name in Florida require several forms and a court hearing. Individuals seeking a name change must be a legal resident of Florida and must submit to a background check. Last names can be changed for a variety of reasons, but frivolous name changes are not allowed in Florida courts.

My office can help you with this matter. I offer free initial consultations. You can contact us at (407) 838-0887

2. Joanna Marie Mitchell

Pro

Answered . You need to file a Petition for Name Change. It is a pretty straightforward process, and as long as you are not changing your name for some ilicit purpose (which it doesn't sound like you are), then the Name Change should be granted. Tehcnically though, even with the name change, your biological father would still not be your "legal" father because of the adoption.

3. Maurine Anna Thomas

Answered . I believe that your question was more about removing a name then about changing yours. I don't believe that you can remove the name from the birth certificate because this is the record of your birth. While he may no longer have involvement with you he is your father from the birth certificate sense. When an adoption occurs it is as if the adoptive parents are the birth parents and any previous records are destroyed. You could ask to be adopted as an adult by your biological father.