I am 21. My parents are going out of town next weekend. Is it legal for me to host a party at their house if i live with them?

Asked 6 months ago - Mcallen, TX

I won't tell them about it but the house will be cleaned up if there is a mess. I am going to check IDs at the door, I won't provide alcohol, and we live in the country so noise won't be a problem. Is it legal for me to advertise the party on Facebook and Twitter?

1. Maria Sara Lowry

3

Answered . Legal, yes. Good idea, NO.

if you are not mature enough to discuss this and get their ok ahead of time, then you probably should not be hosting a large party.

2. Sherrie Haussner Travers

Pro

2

Answered . Really?!? You really think this is a good idea? And advertising it on Facebook and Twitter? Tell your parents AHEAD of time or do not do it! While giving the party may not be illegal, the unintended consequences will likely be very much so. Grow up, move out, get your own place, and then throw a party....but not at your parents' home...that THEY own, not you.

3. Luemara Aurora Wagner

1

Answered . It may not be illegal but you mentioned in one of your previous comments that your parents already expressly denied permission for a party at their house. If there are any damages to the property, someone gets injured while attending the party, or simply if they later find out you violated their trust, they may ask you to move out. If you refuse, they can start a process to evict you from their house. Since you are 21 and considered an adult, as a general rule your parents do not have a legal duty to provide for your housing (there are some very limited exceptions, such as mental or physical disability for example). You may have a great party but end up without a place to live.