I am 21. My parents are going out of town next weekend. Is it legal for me to host a party at their house if i live with them?

Asked 10 months ago - Mcallen, TX

I won't tell them about it but the house will be cleaned up if there is a mess. I am going to check IDs at the door, I won't provide alcohol, and we live in the country so noise won't be a problem. Is it legal for me to advertise the party on Facebook and Twitter?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Maria Sara Lowry

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Legal, yes. Good idea, NO.

    if you are not mature enough to discuss this and get their ok ahead of time, then you probably should not be hosting a large party.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information... more
  2. Sherrie Haussner Travers


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Really?!? You really think this is a good idea? And advertising it on Facebook and Twitter? Tell your parents AHEAD of time or do not do it! While giving the party may not be illegal, the unintended consequences will likely be very much so. Grow up, move out, get your own place, and then throw a party....but not at your parents' home...that THEY own, not you.

    Any communication through the AVVO site with Sherrie Travers or any individual member of the firm, Travers &... more
  3. Luemara Aurora Wagner

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It may not be illegal but you mentioned in one of your previous comments that your parents already expressly denied permission for a party at their house. If there are any damages to the property, someone gets injured while attending the party, or simply if they later find out you violated their trust, they may ask you to move out. If you refuse, they can start a process to evict you from their house. Since you are 21 and considered an adult, as a general rule your parents do not have a legal duty to provide for your housing (there are some very limited exceptions, such as mental or physical disability for example). You may have a great party but end up without a place to live.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information... more

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering