Skip to main content

I am 19 and being charged with possession of marijuana. This is my first offense. Wondering what course of action I should take?

Valley Center, KS |

Can I try and get a diversion? What should I say/do when I go to court? What are the possible consequences and how can I make this process as painless as possible?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Diversion is probably an option, depending on your record and the policies of your prosecutor. You should seriously consider talking with a local criminal defense attorney though. While diversion is certainly better than a conviction you may have factual or legal defenses of which you are unaware. A lawyer with experience handling drug cases in your jursidiction will be able to determine what your best options are. The matter is serious as possession is a Class A misdemeanor, with punishments of up to $2,500.00 and a year in county jail.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.


Obtain a criminal lawyer ASAP. You should have several options that couldinclude a defered program or possibly drug court, and you are under 21. Good luck.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.


Hire a criminal lawyer. As a youthful offender there may be programs available to you that would be advantageous.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer