Skip to main content

I am 17 years old with a daughter,I am still with the father who is now 18 ,how do I give him custody of her ?

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Child custody

I ran away from tn,I am 17 my mothers boyfriend is abusive and we felt it best to get our 2 month old daughter away from them.I am now in florida and want to give custody to my daughters father who is 18 before my mother forces me back to tn. How can I give him legal custody where she can stay in fl with him until I am 18 ? we have tried to contact welfare and my mother lied and said her boyfriend had moved out.I fear for us when we are there and I really need help . We don't know what to do .they are saying if we both come back to tn that I can do the paper up there but I am scared it is a trap and really don't want my daughter going back . It is a dangerous household and I know my mother will put us on lock down if I ever go back with her . Please help ! Can I sign guardianship over ?

Attorney Answers 3


You need to go in and consult with a lawyer in person. Your case is too complex to handle on here. Yes you can give another guardianship so long as the father agrees.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


He needs to file a paternity action rather swiftly. You and he need much more advice than you can get on a site like this. Get to a family attorney right away. As the child's parent, he is a natural guardian of the child. When you have lived here for 6 months, FL becomes the home state of the child.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree. You have a myriad of issues. You are still a minor at this point even though you have a child. Your mother is your guardian until you reach 18 years or file for emancipation. As Mr. De Groot, stated, you don't have FL jurisdiction until the child has been a resident in the state for 6 months. You need to schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss these issues more in depth.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics