Skip to main content

I am 17 years old and I live in Texas can I move out with out my mother's consent?

Mcallen, TX |

I'm 17 and I only live with my mother but i want to move to another state. I have less than six months before my 18th birthday but I feel like I can't live a day longer in the same house as my mom. We argue about every thing. I am not abused. I stay home all day every day and I would like to move back in with my sibling. She's willing to take care of me and pay for whatever is needed. If I move out in a couple of days to my sister's in a different state can police officers force me to return to my mother's. I am not looking for a lawyer just need to know the law.

Attorney Answers 1


Talk to your mom. Ask her to let you move. If she says "no", you've got to wait until you're 18. You're still a minor. Don't put your sister in the middle.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics