I am 17 and am asking my dad to give up his parental rights. How do I do it. How long will it take.

I am a teenager and am seekeing help. He is an adoptive parent.

Herndon, VA -

Attorney Answers (1)

James Donald Garrett

James Donald Garrett

Domestic Violence Lawyer - Virginia Beach, VA

Your father may not voluntarily give up any rights or responsibilities he has. The law does not allow this, unless there is another person to step into his shoes pursuant to an adoption.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.