I am 16 years old and I am trying to get out of my mothers house. My Mother inst taking on the responsibility of being a mother.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hicksville, NY

I've lived with my mother for all of my life. My father signed his custodial rights over to my mother when i was 2. I want to be on my own or even under a different care taker. My mother has brought guys homes and had made me do everything in the house (cleaning, feeding the kids, cleaning the kids, etc.). I am emotionally and mentally tired of the responsibilities. My mother is emotionally, mentally, and verbally abusive. I don't know what to do. Is there any way i can be on my own or decide where i want to live? what legal grounds do i stand? what can my father do?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . If you want to be on your own i.e. emancipated, the first thing you need to do is have a plan that includes how you will support yourself. If you simply want to get out of your mother's home and you would like to live with your father AND he agrees, then he can file a petition with the court and your wishes will be given great weight. Explore that option with your father first, and if that won't work, then repost for more info. Good luck!

2. Steven Parnell Weaver

3

Answered . Be very careful what you wish for because you may end up in a foster home situation. You need to talk to your family members and discuss your issues with them and see if there can be a family solution. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. They may be able to help you get her the help she needs.

3. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Answered . Just go to your father. That's it. He'll file a petition to reverse custody. Done.