Skip to main content

I am 16 I'm wondering if I can become emancipated in Ohio and what is the best way too

Marion, OH |

My dad has a protection order against him but I`m living with him cause my mother kicked me out of the house, she wants me back but is really abusive. I don't have any other choice but to go back unless I can become emancipated and live with my father .. who has cleaned up his act.. I don`t know what else to do please help me as soon as possible

Attorney Answers 2

  1. In Ohio, until you are 18, you may not be emancipated unless you either join the military or get married, both of which require parental consent.

    I hope that this information is helpful to you. If so, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer." The information provided here is general in nature and is not to be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended nor created. As an Ohio attorney not licensed in any other jurisdiction, any information provided here is solely based on Ohio law and general legal principles. The information provided here should not be put into practice without specifically consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local attorney.

  2. You need to go see a social worker at Children and Family Services . Explain to them what is happening with your current family situation. No teenager needs to live with a parent who is abusive. With the help of the county and juvenile court , you can find a safe place to live while your family works out its problems. The Court can appoint a guardian ad litem who will represent your inters in any legal proceedings.