Skip to main content

I am 14 years old and i got caught stealing from a gas station what is the worst thing that can happen to me.? PLEASE HELP ME.

Greenwood, IN |

i was caught stealing from a gas station it totaled up to $10.21 i was so ashamed of what i did. I am 14 years old. what is the worst thing that can happen to me. I am so scared because it is the first time i ever did ANY thing bad. i make desent grades, i dont make straight A's but i am also not failing. i have court later this month... i was thinking that the worst thing i could get was probation but i have no idea... i have never went through anything like this before i am a good quiet kid. tell me what the worst thing that could happen and what i can do to get this taken of my record. And never have anything like this again. I am so scared because i have no idea what could happen... PLEASE HELP ME!

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    The worst thing is that you go to children's court, are found to have committed a delinquent act, and sentenced to the boys school for 2 years. But that will never happen in your case. There is a very good chance the juvenile probation officer will decide it is not serious enough given your good history and petty crime and just put you on informal probation with community service hours. Even if you have to see the judge, s/he will no doubt give you some form of probation for 6 months. Those are not the worst things possible, but the most likely things.

  2. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to review your case. Based upon your description, it seems that you have not had any prior criminal cases before. If that is the case, your lack of a prior criminal history may be an important mitigating factor in your favor. Your attorney can explain the possible consequences to you in your case. Technically, the court could send you to boys' school if you're found to have comitted the offense, BUT that outcome seems VERY UNLIKELY based upon your description of the case and your lack of a prior criminal record. There are no guarantees, but a sentence of probation, good behavior, or even a deferred adjudication are more likely outcomes in your case. That being said, you should hire an attorney and discuss your concerns with your attorney. Good luck.

    Juan C. Garcia, Jr.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics