Skip to main content

I am an OPT student going to marry a US citizen.

Greenbelt, MD |

Thank you all for answering my question in advance

i came to USA in 2008 as F-1 student then i finished my degree . Currently i am in my OPT.My girl friend is US citizen .we both are in our twenties and want to marry soon.

Can any one tell me what should i do regarding apply for Green card,Citizenship etc.

Attorney Answers 5


Your wife-to-be can sponsor you for a green card as soon as you two marry.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

13 lawyers agree



The best thing for you and your girlfriend to do would be to consult with a licensed, experienced immigration attorney who can verify your eligibility and whether you potentially may have any inadmissibility issues that would affect your marriage-based residency petition, as well as provide an overview of the application process. Although the process may seem straight-forward, there are several forms, various supporting documents, and even seemingly innocent questions on the forms that can cause complications, delays and even denial and instigation of removal (deportation) proceedings before the Immigration Court if everything is not completed and submitted correctly.

However, should you wish to get an overview of the process yourselves, you may wish to start with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service website, Under the "green card" heading on the main page, look at "green card through family" and then "immediate relative" links.

For assistance locating licensed, experienced immigration attorneys for a consultation, you can look here on Avvo, at or Keep in mind that you are not under any obligation to hire an attorney simply because you consulted with him/her.

Best wishes,

Ms. Doerrie's answer to your question is general in nature, as not all facts and circumstances relating to the specific person(s) and situations involved are known to her. Ms. Doerrie recommends consulting with an immigration attorney regarding your specific facts and circumstances prior to making any legal decision or submitting any form or application. This response does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I recommend that you consult with a competent attorney. Many of us offer free consultation for marriage-based cases. Generally, there are at least 7 different forms that need to be filed together with lots of supporting documentation. It would not be enough space here to explain you everything.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
Attorney & Counselor at Law
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (703) 527-1779
Fax: (703) 778-0369

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with colleagues. After you are married, your U.S. citizen wife will be able to file a family petition for you and you would be eligible to adjust your status here in the U.S.. Feel free to contact me as well.
I am in the College Park area near the University of Maryland. Please remember that this information not advice particular to your case. Without talking thoroughly, we might not have all the facts.

Any information I provide through this service is strictly informational in nature and should not be misinterpreted as legal advice in your particular case. Every case is different and each case may have unique facts. Without conducting a complete interview or consultation on your case, it is impossible to provide a complete and reliable legal evaluation of your immigration case. Please feel free to call or email me to set up an office consultation or telephonic consultation based on a completed intake questionaire.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


One issue you will need to focus on is documentation that it is a real marriage. When two people first start out there is not a heck of a lot. Think about joint bank accounts, insurance policies with each other as beneficiary. Joint leases, letters from friends about your marriage. Beyond just forms, documentation is very important. Be careful and see an attorney.

Mark as helpful

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics