I am an OPT student going to marry a US citizen.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Greenbelt, MD

hi
Thank you all for answering my question in advance

i came to USA in 2008 as F-1 student then i finished my degree . Currently i am in my OPT.My girl friend is US citizen .we both are in our twenties and want to marry soon.

Can any one tell me what should i do regarding apply for Green card,Citizenship etc.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

2

Answered . Your wife-to-be can sponsor you for a green card as soon as you two marry.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Jennifer Doerrie

4

Answered . Hello,

The best thing for you and your girlfriend to do would be to consult with a licensed, experienced immigration attorney who can verify your eligibility and whether you potentially may have any inadmissibility issues that would affect your marriage-based residency petition, as well as provide an overview of the application process. Although the process may seem straight-forward, there are several forms, various supporting documents, and even seemingly innocent questions on the forms that can cause complications, delays and even denial and instigation of removal (deportation) proceedings before the Immigration Court if everything is not completed and submitted correctly.

However, should you wish to get an overview of the process yourselves, you may wish to start with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service website, www.uscis.gov. Under the "green card" heading on the main page, look at "green card through family" and then "immediate relative" links.

For assistance locating licensed, experienced immigration attorneys for a consultation, you can look here on Avvo, at www.aila.org or www.immigrationlawhelp.org. Keep in mind that you are not under any obligation to hire an attorney simply because you consulted with him/her.

Best wishes,
    Jennifer

3. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

2

Answered . I recommend that you consult with a competent attorney. Many of us offer free consultation for marriage-based cases. Generally, there are at least 7 different forms that need to be filed together with lots of supporting documentation. It would not be enough space here to explain you everything.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369
    ismail@islawfirm.com

4. Jacqueline O Bradley Chacon

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with colleagues. After you are married, your U.S. citizen wife will be able to file a family petition for you and you would be eligible to adjust your status here in the U.S.. Feel free to contact me as well.
    I am in the College Park area near the University of Maryland. Please remember that this information not advice particular to your case. Without talking thoroughly, we might not have all the facts.

5. Rudolph L Gannascoli

Answered . One issue you will need to focus on is documentation that it is a real marriage. When two people first start out there is not a heck of a lot. Think about joint bank accounts, insurance policies with each other as beneficiary. Joint leases, letters from friends about your marriage. Beyond just forms, documentation is very important. Be careful and see an attorney.

One or more answers have been taken down.