I agreed to settle in a Maryland workers comp case with the insurance adjuster. just waiting for my payment

Baltimore, MD |

Upon agreement to settle with the insurance adjuster, as i said i did agree to settle, Everyone has signed off on it, just waiting for the judge approval. i have a hearing scheduled for April 8, 2014, but the attorney says it will be canceled because i agreed to settle, but when i call the workers comp commission, the recording still says April 8, 2014. Does the judge usually approve it, an will i have to appear in court again if i already settled?

You should direct all questions to your attorney. In general, once the Commission receives the settlement paperwork, they will cancel the hearing. This takes a few days from the date they receive the hearing. Your attorney will advise you when the hearing is removed from the docket. Most settlements with an attorney are approved without a hearing. Occasionally, the Commission has a concern and it is set for a hearing. This would be on a new date.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

You will probably not have to appear if you have settled the case but honestly, this is a question for your attorney. Please contact them asap.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Connell is a Colorado attorney licensed in only that state. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

The best thing is to check with your lawyer. If all papers have been signed, you should not have a problem but check with the court on April 7th to make sure.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.

Recommended articles about Employment