Skip to main content

I accidently missed my court date and a warrant has been issued for my arrest what can i do

Chicago, IL |

arrested for a stolen vechile

Attorney Answers 3


I disagree with Mr. Isquith's answer. The Court issued the warrant not the DA. Only the Court can recall it. You must have your case added on to calendar and then go in and give the judge your excuses. He may or may not recall the warrant.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with Mr. Kaman. The Court issues, recalls, vacates and otherwise controls what occurs as a result of the warrant. Consult with your lawyer how to present this in the best light and get it done. The worst thing to happen would be you getting arrested on the warrant instead of surrendering on the warrant. Good luck.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship or constitute legal advice. Instead, given the nature of this website, it is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. Do not assume that the legal theories I mention that pertain to NJ will apply in your State. The laws of each State; and, the facts of each case are different, and it is therefore critical for you to consult with a lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before making any decisions on how to handle or dispose of your case.

Mark as helpful


I fail to see the "debate." The prosecution has nothing to do with the issuance of the warrant or missing a court appearance. It's not something that can be "explained" to the prosecution - instead, it's the court that will need to be satisfied that the failure to appear was excused or will not happen again.

Better to get your lawyer to go to court with you ASAP and minimize the impact of failing to appear, rather than getting arrested on the warrant.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics