I accidentally passed a stopping school bus, will I get a ticket?

Boone, NC |

I was on a mountain road in Boone, I came around a turn and there was a school bus with flashing yellow lights on, I didn't have time to stop and I passed it. The driver honked the horn at me. The arm was starting to extend as I went by.

1. Will you get a ticket? No one can predict that. You will only get a ticket if the bus driver happened to catch your license plate. Can you get convicted? Not likely. I am a former superior court prosecutor and I handled thousands of cases in district court (where your ticket would be). If you get charged, you should hire an attorney. An experienced attorney can make mincemeat out of charges like this (if you actually had to go to trial). A case like this is incredibly hard to prove (with an attorney by your side) if a police officer did not witness what took place.

The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit www.silvaandsweet.com.

2. If you get a ticket for this, hire a lawyer and take it seriously. This particular violation has serious fines and big ramifications on your driving record if you are convicted.