I accidentally missed my probation appt last week. I got a DUI 1st time and have been compliant up till now what will happen?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I know I need to contact my po ASAP since i realized today i missed my appt date but its Saturday I've tried calling there's no answer so I have to wait till Monday. I'm so nervous

1. Craig A. Epifanio

6

Answered . A lot depends on your particular probation officer, but you can only do what you can do. If possible to leave a message, do that. If not, call them first thing Monday morning and explain what happened. There more likely to appreciate honesty, than if you try to avoid it.

2. David S Katz

Pro

5

Answered . A local Tampa area attorney familiar with the judges and prosecutors can probably work this violation out for you. You are correct that the first step is to contact your po, but I would also get a bondsman and an attorney lined up in case your probation is violated. Elliot Wilcox is an attorney who works in Tampa who focuses exclusively on DUI defense. You may want to look him up on avvo and call him. Good Luck.

3. Richard Earl Hornsby

Pro

3

Answered . You are doing what you can do.

4. Joseph Julius Registrato

Pro

3

Answered . If there is one date, one appointment a person should NEVER miss, it's an appointment with his/her probation officer. The term "accidentally" isn't going to be of much help if you get violated. Fortunately for you, as long as your dui was a misdemeanor, it's not that bad. Violating misdemeanor probation is not near as bad as violating the felony variety, and misdemeanor judges are usually just interested in getting the thing over with as opposed to punishing you. You still should be represented by a lawyer, however.

5. Mark Copoulos

Pro

3

Answered . Probation Officer's are people too. They should understand if you genuinely attempted to be compliant. Stay calm and explain the situation. Express to him that you will not miss any future appointments. Good luck.

6. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

2

Answered . As Florida counsel have pointed out, you are doing what you can. It is not good to miss an appointment, but it happens. Repeated misses can result in probation revocation.

Probation means you have already been convicted of a crime. A judge decided that you did not need to be imprisoned to protect society, but you are subject to being searched or locked up at any time if someone thinks that decision might have been wrong. You have one foot in the jail cell already!

When talking to clients considering probation, I often compare it to being like moving back home with a step-parent who doesn’t like you. That step-parent gets to set your hours, tell you who your friends are, tell you where you can and cannot live, and talk to your boss at work. If he/she thinks you are breaking a rule, you can be put into jail until a decision is made. It is a significant change in your liberty.

Make sure your probation officer knows you understand this and you will keep ahead of the game and be on the road to getting out from under court supervision.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
    http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
    http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information.