I accepted an ACD with a full order of protection. I need to pick up belongings. Can I ask for a hearing to modify the order?

New York, NY |

During late spring I was once granted such an opportunity, but now with winter, my circumstances have changed and I need access to other belongings. Can I ask the court for a hearing to modify the order of protection to allow me the opportunity to do so? I am not interested in whether or not the court would likely grant the hearing, but whether or not I can ask for the hearing. I suppose I am asking about process not the likelihood of following that process leading to success.

My colleague is correct in that you can speak to an ADA about needing access. I have advised clients to use the local precinct next to the residence (assuming it's a home) to help you gain access to pick up belongings. Typically, they would go with you to the location.

Regarding your specific question about the ability to ask for a hearing, sure, anyone could ask for a hearing by making a motion on notice to the ADA and asking for the relief you want. However, you have to have a basis to request a hearing and although you do not want to know about the likelihood of success, I have to tell you that it's slim to none.

These answers are not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advise, they are given based on the information provided which is insufficient to give meaningful advise. These answers shall not be construed as part of the creation of an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry. The Questioner has responsibility of obtaining legal advise from an attorney and is urged to do so.

I have never heard of this being done after acceptance of the ACD but I don't see why it can't be done. You probably have to give the DA notice so they can let the complaining witness know what is going on.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.