I absolutely cannot afford to pay the Parent Plus loans due at this time. What can I do?

Asked over 2 years ago - Palmyra, NE

I had the understanding four years ago when I signed the first loan for my daughter that when she graduated it could be transferred to her. I now find out this is not true. I would like to transfer this to my daughter but her credit at this time is improving but I don't think she can get a loan to pay this off and make smaller payments. Is there any help out there for students to get a loan, especially when they are working full time making good money in their field? Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Brendan Michael Kelly


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . As the first lawyer said, she will have to take out a loan and pay it off. Can she make the payment for you?

  2. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The only way to transfer it to her is to have her take out a loan to pay it off.

    You can contact the lender about programs like income based repayment.

    Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice.... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and student loans

Student loans cannot normally be discharged in bankruptcy. Unlike most other types of debt, student loans are nondischargeable--except in cases of hardship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,215 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,215 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering