I abandoned an apartment in NV 4 years ago. Are they able to sue me, garnish wages, or levy bank accounts now that I live in TX?

Asked 12 months ago - Grand Prairie, TX

The apartment complex ended up riddled with crime, and someone came banging on my door with a gun after I witnessed their common area drug deal. This is why we left that day!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Patrick Begley

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am unsure what the statute of limitations is in Nevada, but here in Texas it would be four years. A quick Google search suggests that the Nevada SOL is six years; but again, I'm not an expert on Nevada law. In Texas, you typically can't garnish wages except for taxes, child support, and student loans. Bank accounts are another story. If you have other large debts sitting out there, now might be a good time to consider bankruptcy.

    Hope this helps and best of luck!

    The information provided in this post is not "legal advice." Rather it is general information on common legal... more
  2. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Texas does not allow wage garnishment, but the issue is whether or not your employer uses a national payroll service. Also, was jurisdiction proper in the State that the judgment was taken. If they garnish your wages you may have a cause of action against them, at the same time, you may be short on your bills for awhile and it may take several weeks to get the wage garnishment stopped.

  3. Jacob Douglas Thomas

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Thank you for your question. Before any collection actions can be taken against you, the company would first have to obtain a judgment. The company would likely file suit in Nevada, obtaining a Nevada judgment. They would then have to domesticate that judgment in Texas, then sue your bank in order to garnish your bank account. All of these legal actions are expensive. It is highly unlikely that an apartment complex would pursue you to such lengths. At the most, the apartment complex may have taken a judgment against you in Nevada, assuming they were able to properly serve you with suit. They may even report the unpaid debt to a credit bureau, but that is also unlikely in my experience. In short, don't use the apartment complex as a reference and you shouldn't have much to worry about. In the event that something does happen, hire a consumer protection attorney.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now