I abandoned an apartment in NV 4 years ago. Are they able to sue me, garnish wages, or levy bank accounts now that I live in TX?

Grand Prairie, TX |

The apartment complex ended up riddled with crime, and someone came banging on my door with a gun after I witnessed their common area drug deal. This is why we left that day!

1. I am unsure what the statute of limitations is in Nevada, but here in Texas it would be four years. A quick Google search suggests that the Nevada SOL is six years; but again, I'm not an expert on Nevada law. In Texas, you typically can't garnish wages except for taxes, child support, and student loans. Bank accounts are another story. If you have other large debts sitting out there, now might be a good time to consider bankruptcy.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

The information provided in this post is not "legal advice." Rather it is general information on common legal issues. If you have questions concerning your specific situation, it is always best to consult an attorney in your area.

2. Texas does not allow wage garnishment, but the issue is whether or not your employer uses a national payroll service. Also, was jurisdiction proper in the State that the judgment was taken. If they garnish your wages you may have a cause of action against them, at the same time, you may be short on your bills for awhile and it may take several weeks to get the wage garnishment stopped.

3. Thank you for your question. Before any collection actions can be taken against you, the company would first have to obtain a judgment. The company would likely file suit in Nevada, obtaining a Nevada judgment. They would then have to domesticate that judgment in Texas, then sue your bank in order to garnish your bank account. All of these legal actions are expensive. It is highly unlikely that an apartment complex would pursue you to such lengths. At the most, the apartment complex may have taken a judgment against you in Nevada, assuming they were able to properly serve you with suit. They may even report the unpaid debt to a credit bureau, but that is also unlikely in my experience. In short, don't use the apartment complex as a reference and you shouldn't have much to worry about. In the event that something does happen, hire a consumer protection attorney.