Skip to main content

I-94 extension as visa is valid for 2 more years

San Jose, CA |

My I-94 is expiring in July'2013 as I got I-94 based on my passport expiry. I've now renewed my passport. Is it possible to get an I-94 extension while in US? My L1 visa is valid for 2 more years i.e. till 2015.

Is it also possible to extend I-94 either in San Jose or San Francisco?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Yes, Ask your employer to seek extension for you.

  2. You cannot file for an extension of L1 visa, your employer can. You should have started by talking to the employer's attorney. There is a good chance you could have avoided the need for this question.

  3. Yes, I-94 can be renewed by the employer or their attorney.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. Yes, you can extend it .. by mail to a USCIS dropbox .. not at a local office.

    Talk to the company's immigration attorney, not a non-attorney in HR.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  5. I-94 determines your lawful presence. Your employer will seek extension if they wish you to continue to work on L-1.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.