I-94 expired and Overstay

Asked about 1 year ago - Cedar Rapids, IA

I just found yesterday that my H4 visa & I-94 has expired on Aug 19, 2012. We have applied for an extension with I-539 but have not received any reply yet. The 180 days period is approaching in next two weeks.
Can we continue to wait for the decision above 180 days or it is better to leave the country before the 180 days period is over? what will be the consequences in both options? Is there any other better solution to such case?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can remain in the US while the extension request is pending if it was filed timely. You will only start accruing unlawful presence once the request is denied.

  2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. Lalita Haran

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You are incurring unlawful presence. You could leave to reenter and ave to convince the consulate to obtain a visa. Beware of the possible Bar on reentry. Please seek consultation with an attorney. Best Wishes!

    Lalita Haran
    13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
    Carmel IN, 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

  4. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you filed the extension request before your status expired you may stay in the US. However, if your status had already expired before you filed the extension, you should leave the US before you reach 180 days, unless you have other options.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,606 answers this week

2,849 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary