I-864 Sponsor : What are legal Responsability of a joint sponsor?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Orlando, FL

Hi I was recently asked by a friend to fill an I-864 sponsor form because his wife did not meet the income requirements for his green card. I know the basics (food stamps, SSI, etc) but what happens if the person has a car accident and someone dies? Or if he gets sick and goes to the hospital? Or does not pay taxes? Or if the marriage turns out to be an arrange one?

Am I TOO responsible to cover financially for the question above?

Thanks

In the above question "Am I TOO responsible" i ment if I had to cover to the questions above.

What if he does not pay a credit Card, Care/personal/Student loan, Am I responsable for those too?

1. Khaja M. Din

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . If it's a car accident and the debt will be civil you will not be held responsible. Basic rule of thumb is that you could be held responsible for anything that the tax payer has to pay. Not paying taxes would not be your responsibility either. If the marriage is arranged and you know about it - DO NOT GET INVOLVED for whole set of other reasons. SEE A LAWYER FOR MORE DETAILED INFO.

Good Luck,

Warmest regards,

Khaja M. Din, Esq.
    Din | Memmen, Inc.

www.dinmemmen.com

Chicago Office
    4518 North Kedzie Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60625
    P.312.878.2357
    F.312.794.1813

Madison Office — By Appointment Only
    Main Street Justice
    354 West Main Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    P.608.238.1050

2. C. C. Abbott

Answered . My colleagues have provided detailed replies. Also USCIS has other q and a's on the I-864 document.
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem...

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The I-864 is a contract between the sponsor and the US government where the sponsor agrees to reimburse the government for the cost of some means tested benefits that the immigrant might receive.

4. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

Answered . No responsibility for credit cards, etc. I agree with my colleague.
    You may wish to see information on Affidavit of Support on the uscis.gov website.
    Goodluck.