I-864 Sponsor : What are legal Responsability of a joint sponsor?

Orlando, FL |

Hi I was recently asked by a friend to fill an I-864 sponsor form because his wife did not meet the income requirements for his green card. I know the basics (food stamps, SSI, etc) but what happens if the person has a car accident and someone dies? Or if he gets sick and goes to the hospital? Or does not pay taxes? Or if the marriage turns out to be an arrange one?

Am I TOO responsible to cover financially for the question above?

Thanks

In the above question "Am I TOO responsible" i ment if I had to cover to the questions above. What if he does not pay a credit Card, Care/personal/Student loan, Am I responsable for those too?

If it's a car accident and the debt will be civil you will not be held responsible. Basic rule of thumb is that you could be held responsible for anything that the tax payer has to pay. Not paying taxes would not be your responsibility either. If the marriage is arranged and you know about it - DO NOT GET INVOLVED for whole set of other reasons. SEE A LAWYER FOR MORE DETAILED INFO.

Good Luck,

Warmest regards,

Khaja M. Din, Esq.
    Din | Memmen, Inc.

www.dinmemmen.com

Chicago Office
    4518 North Kedzie Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60625
    P.312.878.2357
    F.312.794.1813

Madison Office — By Appointment Only
    Main Street Justice
    354 West Main Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    P.608.238.1050

2. The I-864 is a contract between the sponsor and the US government where the sponsor agrees to reimburse the government for the cost of some means tested benefits that the immigrant might receive.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. No responsibility for credit cards, etc. I agree with my colleague.
    You may wish to see information on Affidavit of Support on the uscis.gov website.
    Goodluck.

4. My colleagues have provided detailed replies. Also USCIS has other q and a's on the I-864 document.
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.