I-864 Immigration sponsor. What is this? Do we have to do this and why?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cedar Rapids, IA

My husband came here legally from Belgium. We live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and have been married for about two months. It's financially straining because he can't work. I'm trying to support my seven year old son, him, and myself (we have no children together). I'm currently a full-time student receiving unemployment training benefits and I have no assets. I recently submitted these forms: I-130, G-325A, I-485, I-131, I-765, I-693. He's applying for an adjustment of status. Now I'm looking at a form that I think I missed, the I-864. We don't know anyone that could help me sponsor him. Does this mean that my husband won't be able to get a job until I finish school and start making enough money to sponsor him on my own?

1. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

1

Answered . You must submit an I-864 even if your income is 0. And you certainly will need a joint sponsor if you do not make sufficient income. A joint sponsor can be any citizen or legal resident who makes sufficient income. I highly recommend you use an attorney. If you get a denial the next attempt will be even more complicated and you will not get your filing fees back.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

Answered . You will need to file an I-864 because it is required by USCIS. The purpose of the Affidavit of Support is to show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States. If your income is not at or above the poverty level for a household of two, you will need a co-sponsor.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You really should have help filing anything with USCIS. Contact a good attorney in your area, search AVVO. I-864 is a requirement and they will make you find a cosponsor if the petitioner / sponsor does not have sufficient income / assets.