Skip to main content

I-864 Immigration

North Arlington, NJ |

Can I use my car as an asset on the I-864, if I am making payments to a bank in which I have a loan for the vehicle?

When I originally filled out the I-864 months ago I was employed full time. Right now I am unemployed, I have a family member who lives with me adding this income to my child support to meet the financial requirements. I have an appointment w/ Immigration on 9/4/13, in which I will be submitting a new I-864 & an I-864a. I was wondering if I can add the car to the I-864 to put us way over the poverty line?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Your car is a depreciating asset, so it will be worth less by the time the case is concluded.
    If your income is insufficient, the best way to ensure that the petition will be approved is if you have a co-sponsor who can assist you.

    The information you obtained at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Asma Chaudry invites you to contact her directly at her office in Edison, New Jersey, and welcomes your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting Asma Chaudry does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to her until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. (732) 662-4125.

  2. It is still an asset if you have a substantial amount of equity in the car. But I agree with my colleague, you should find a joint sponsor if you cannot meet the affidavit of support requirements with your income.

    Law Office of Brian H. Lee, San Jose, California, 408.246.6710 This is general information, not legal advice. This does not establish any attorney client relationship.

  3. Best to find a co-sponsor. Any asset you try to have taken into account must worth be 5 times the missing amount for the affidavit.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. A much better way to make sure you clear that financial hurdle is to find a Co-Sponsor for your case.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  5. Get a co-sponsor

  6. Get a co-sponsor and a good immigration lawyer

    John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics