Skip to main content

I-864 Affidavit of Support/Immigration

Seattle, WA |

I will be the sponsor for my husband and I am self employed. I will send my Gross and net Income for the Immigration next month. They both meet the $20,000 requirement but only for the year 2013. I have learned The Immigration requires the last 3 years but the year 2012 and 2011 were not even close since I had many business expenses and deductions. My husband does not have any Co sponsor and will depend only on me. What to do at this point? Thanks for the help!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You must provide information regarding your income for the most recent 3 tax years, but your income only needs to meet the guidelines currently, so you should be OK. You will want to get a letter from your accountant instead of an employer, since you are self-employed.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. You must disclose your income for the past three years. However, if your current income meets the requirements, you should be fine.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

  3. Your current income is what is most important. Submit documents to establish your current income. Your income for the past 3 years does not need to meet the income requirement, only your current income. Best wishes.

    This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics