I-864: What if I didn't file with the IRS the past three years?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I'm a student and I only worked part-time during college the past three years. I haven't filed for any of those years. Now I am married and am filing an I-130 / I-485 for my wife. Form I-864 requires me to acknowledge that I have filed my federal taxes for the past three years and include a copy of my tax return for the most recent tax year, but I haven't done that. Can I get around this somehow? I am having a co-sponsor who did file, but I didn't.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The I-864 is required even if you did not file taxes. Be sure to request IRS tax transcripts even if you did not file, to show which years you did file. It will not be fatal to your application if you did not file and did not have to but you will have to explain why you did not file taxes. Moreover, if you do not meet the requirements to sponsor your spouse under the federal poverty guidelines on your own you will be required to obtain a joint sponsor. Be advised that assets also count toward the income requirement and equity in a house or other property should be indicated on your I-864. The I-864 is a complicated little form which has a lot of hidden not-so-easy-to-understand peculiarities and issues and that is why it is a good idea to consult a competent immigration attorney especially if a joint sponsor is needed. Also for your joint sponsor and you it is very important to understand what you are agreeing to when signing the I-864. Read carefully the form, instructions and seek help.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1) You will need to explain why you were not required to file.
    2) You will need to find a co-sponsor to also file an I-864.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should be fine with a joint sponsor and explain why you did not file.

  4. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need a co-sponsor who is a US citizen or permanent resident and meets the income requirements.

  5. Arit D Butani

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree. You will need a co-sponsor and he/she will have to fill out Form I-864, as well.

    Please note: This information is general in nature and is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Sponsoring an immigrant

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,166 answers this week

2,943 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,166 answers this week

2,943 attorneys answering